Before I was a Mom…

Before I was a mom… I would spend money on nice clothes for myself. I wish I had all that money back. Now, instead I spend money on kids clothes, although mostly from Target and Old Navy. My clothes consist of yoga pants, t-shirts, jeans, and flats.

Before I was a mom… 10:00pm was an early bedtime. In fact, it was go out time. Now I can barely keep my eyes open past 9:30pm.

Before I was a mom… I could lay out at the pool, flip through a mag, take a snooze, have a cocktail. Now pool visits include diaper changes, panic attacks and near drowning experiences.

Before I was a mom… my husband and I could just drop everything, head to dinner and a movie all while not worry about getting home to relieve a babysitter.

Before I was a mom… I could stay at the beach for a 6 hour stretch without having to go home for nap time.

Before I was a mom… I could go to the bathroom in peace.

Before I was a mom… I could take a shower without having an audience.

Before I was a mom… I could get on an airplane, take a little nap, read my book, dream about my trip and go to the bathroom… by myself.

Before I was a mom… I never knew what wearing your heart on your sleeve meant.

Before I was a mom… I never knew how terrified of the world I could be.

Before I was a mom… my life was not complete.

(This post is part of Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop)

Mama's Losin' It

Comments

1. Erin says:

Aww I like the last line, so true!
    I mean let’s face it, who’s life could possibly be complete without diaper changes and near drowning experiences?
    Erin’s last blog Dazzle me with Brilliance Child

2. Dominique says:

Everything changes when one becomes a mom.. I guess it’s a learning experience which brings about its fair share of happiness and pain.

3. Kisha Floren says:

I couldn’t agree more with your list! And as another commenter noted on my post, all of we bloggers who chose this prompt mentioned the shower thing! Oh how lovely it is to shower by yourself! (or with someone over the age of 3 watching…;)
    Kisha Floren’s last blog I can barely remember it….

4. Dumb Mom says:

The fact that moms love their babies so strongly is no accident. No way would I put up with all that crap from a random stranger. Unless it was Justin Timberlake and then I’d totally let him watch me shower and make me leave the beach for naps:)
    Dumb Mom’s last blog Wordful Wednesday. The Runaways.

5. Stopping by from Mama Kat’s…

I loved this prompt. We have sacrificed so much for our kids, but look at all we have gained! Who knew it would be so amazing, huh?
    Lindsay Blogs’s last blog Thank You Bloggers!

6. I hear ya, although for some reason I can’t get to bed early no matter how hard I try.

Going to the pool, beach or any other body of water is no longer relaxing with kids is it? And changing dirty diapers at the beach has got to be the worst!

(P.S. I’m a Thesis blogger too! Yay for Thesis!)
    Melissa (@adventuroo)’s last blog My Summer Adventure Bucket List

7. Found your blog through Mama Kat’s! Had to comment to a fellow SITSter!

I love your list. I savor my rare shower audience-less shower!

8. Run DMT says:

So true! Love the last line. That’s is well put.

Here’s mine:
    Run DMT’s last blog Juneathon, Day 9

9. stef says:

I love it! The first one is so totally true in my house. And you had some that I had forgotten. Following along from Mama Kat, but I am gonna start following you too.
    stef’s last blog Non-moms: Pay attention!

10. Tylaine says:

Love that last line! Great list. I can so relate to the first two :)
    Just stoppin by from the workshop.

11. Great list! I can totally relate with the going to bathroom in peace! :P

Hop on over to check out mine at I’m a full-time mummy (Writer’s Workshop-Before I Was a Mom…)
    I’m a full-time mummy’s last blog Writer’s Workshop – Before I Was a Mom…

12. Kattia says:

Oh, I can so agree with most of what you wrote especially the bathroom, There is always the know I try not answering and they just stand there and wait. I love how you ended it, because at the end of the day after all the complaints and minor annoyances (some not so minor) we love being mommies

13. Pua says:

Oh, to go to the bathroom by myself again. It’s really the only thing I miss from my pre-mom days.

14. I love this!

I am a new follower :)
    Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos’s last blog ♥Before I Was a Mom…

15. KLZ says:

Every time I have bathroom company I think “When you are 16 you are never going to believe that this used to be you favorite activity.”
    KLZ’s last blog A Riddle Answered

16. Kimmers says:

Oh please, please don’t tell me I am going to have to give up my designer denim habit when I have kids. Just lie to me, okay?

(Visiting from Mama Kat’s!)

17. Ahh the days of going to the bathroom in peace— so overrated lol ;)

I posted the same topic for this weeks workshop– it was fun reminiscing.

18. this is wonderful – parenthood changed my life completely
    CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley)’s last blog 30 things I vow to do this summer

19. cara mamma says:

Ah the beach! hours and hours and hours!
    Visiting from Mama Kat!

Oh I remember all those things.

Nice post.

21. What a great post! I love the last line, it is so true. Being a mom has totally changed me. Some days I feel crazier than ever but would never change it for the world :)

22. It seems that there are a lot of moms out here who don’t practice good hygiene – everyone wants to use the bathroom alone, and take a shower!

It’s probably a really good thing that that phase doesn’t last all that long.
    June Freaking Cleaver’s last blog Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop – 06/10/10

23. Jen C. says:

I love your list :) It’s really amazing how easy it is for us to remember how our life was like before becoming mom’s and then quickly realizing that none of the stuff from back then can compare to what we have now. I really love that last one. It’s really weird how having kids, despite all the pains and trouble we go through, really does make us feel so much more complete as a person.
    Jen C.’s last blog The good ole BC days

24. The bathroom thing is the one that I think I miss most!! It is amazing how luxurious going to the bathroom alone seems! And the beach/pool is another one. And on the odd chance when I do get there by myself, I can’t sit still. It’s like I constantly have to be doing something in order to feel normal!

25. Isn’t it nice to know that it’s universal though? At least we’re all in the same boat. Have a great weekend, girlie!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What’s For Dinner?
    Alex aka Ma What’s for dinner’s last blog Leftover Lobstah? Lobstah Salad

26. Erica says:

It’s crazy how before we had kids, we thought we had so much… But really had so little..

27. Alyssa says: