Mommy-Time Mondays

Okay all of you Mom’s out there. I am starting a new post series on Mondays. It is called “Mommy-Time Mondays”. Do you know what that means? You need to schedule some very important “Mommy-Time” for yourself at some point during the week and report back here. Why am I doing this? Because, moms out of anyone living on this earth do not take enough time out for themselves. Therefore I am requiring all you moms out there to do something for yourself EACH. AND. EVERY. WEEK. I wish I could say everyday, but as a mom I know that is just not possible sometimes so I won’t hold you to it.

Whether you are a working mom, stay-at-home mom or a combo of the two, I know that you need more time to yourself. Mothers are the most giving and selfless type of person there is. It is a 24 hour a day job. No private bathroom breaks. No quiet time for coffee in the morning. No relaxing lunch breaks. The list goes on and on. One of the reasons why I started this blog was to have a place to vent. To find other moms out there who know what I am talking about. To let other moms know that they are not alone and that YES I too feel like I need a vacation every single day of my life. Hence, the blog title. See, moms never get a vacation. I don’t even think they get vacations when the kids are grown and out of the house. Moms will always worry, help out when their kids need them and well…mother.

I have found that time for just me is a necessity for my mental health. I am the first to admit that I lose my patience with my kids very easily. I really have to work at having time apart for them for me. Does it mean I love them any less? Of course not. I love them more than anything. But I also know that a happy mom means happy kids and a happy family life. That is why I am starting Mommy-Time Mondays on this blog. That’s right, you need to make your own Mommy-Time. I also need to make sure that I do it, that is why I am going to do it along with you. The goal is to do AT LEAST one thing a week for yourself. Whether that means you go for a run, go get a pedicure, or have a girl’s night out, you need to do something for yourself. My hope is that everyone will get creative ideas about how to schedule time for themselves from all of you!

So I ask you…what did you do for yourself over the past week? Do you even remember how to do something for yourself? Share it here so that all of us Moms can learn how to have more “Mommy-Time”.

I’ll go first. I went on a 2 1/2 mile run yesterday morning BY MYSELF. It was my time. Time to do something for myself, for my body, for my mental state of mind. And you know what? It felt AWESOME. I listened to cheesy hip-hop/dance music and loved every minute of it.

My time.

Doing something for myself.

By myself.

What did you do over the past week or weekend for yourself? Did you remember to schedule your Mommy-Time?

Comments

1. I have blogged on this topic a couple of times. It is so hard to find time for ourselves. And even when we can manage it, we are terrible at doing things just for us. It’s like some kind of switch is turned on in us when we become moms. We can’t even think about our own needs. I hate it!

I don’t have anything good to report today, but you have inspired me. I promise I will do something for me this week! Thanks for the reminder! :)
    Elizabeth Flora Ross’s last blog Joy and pain

2. Shell says:

It’s so hard to find this time. But, I need to try harder b/c I get SO CRABBY when I haven’t had any.

3. Melissa says:

Hurray for taking time away! I’m part time and since we aren’t really taking a week long vacation this year, I thought I’d take a day off here and there JUST FOR ME, aka the kids stay in daycare and mommy gets a day to herself. I’ve never really done that before so I’m excited to see how it goes!
    Melissa’s last blog Dress Local- Eat Local- Blog Local

4. stef says:

This week…I am going to Eclipse…total mom time. I don’t drool over the boys at all…maybe a little, but then I think how young they are and I throw up a little in my mouth. But entertaining still!

5. JDaniel4's Mom says:

Stopping from SITS! I remember a speaker at my mom’s group at church saying, “If you want your son to marry a healthy woman someday, you have to show him what one looks like.” It really hit me that I need to show him how I take care of myself as well as how to be himself.

6. Ann says:

Running is my ME time as well. I run 3 times a week with a long run on Saturday or Sunday. Even better is I have found some girls to run with on the weekend. Girl talk + Running = happy mommy!
    Ann’s last blog Come out- come out- wherever you are

7. I went to Power Yoga last night…of course, I had to get a babysitter so I wound up shelling out some cash, but it was worth it!

8. angie says:

I don’t recall. However, I am going out to lunch with a friend and for a pedicure this week so I hope that counts. :)

9. Melisa says:

So funny that you started this, as I was going to do a post about how I don’t take the time I need to re-charge and I am becoming resentful of it. Mostly because my husband has a job that puts him up in a hotel where he can sleep late, enjoy computer time and a cup of coffee all w/o a screaming toddler. I NEED to take time and I just don’t. If I think about it, I can count on my hands what I have done for strictly me: 3 haircuts, 2 massages, 2 trips to Starbucks alone.

Now maybe since I have somewhere to come and say what I did I will take it seriously before I get burnt out and turn into Ogre mommy.

And I think I am still going to do a post and link back to you when I do!
    Melisa’s last blog Just Say No

10. Mrs.Mayhem says:

I couldn’t agree more about the necessity of Mommy-Time. Summer is the hardest time to find any. I, too, went for a run today, but it was on a treadmill with all four children playing in the same room. It’s kind of hard to break up fights while struggling to breathe.

11. Emily says:

Hmmm, I don’t know about weekly me-time but I do go to my book club once a month. A group of fabulous women/moms sit around, drink A LOT of wine, don’t talk much about that month’s book, and have a super visit. Since I have just one child, I find little moments here and there…a longer shower, some computer time (like now). Since he still naps, that afternoon block of time is precious! I try to put aside chores and read or do something for ME. I met a mom recently who had not been away from her child in TWO WHOLE YEARS. Not a single girl’s night out . Nary a date with her husband. She seemed remarkable happy and sane (unbelievable). It reminded me how lucky I am to steal some ME moments here and there.

• Melisa says:

Emily – sometimes I think I am going to be that mom, though before I got pregnant I said I would never be that way. I thought it was ludicrous to meet moms that were never apart from their children until they went to school. Now I am turning into that mom and it’s not by choice, most days!
      Melisa’s last blog Bubble-ampBee Giveaway from Hopes Cafe

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Violeta Guerrero, Rachel Voorhees. Rachel Voorhees said: New post- Mommy-Time Mondays. Lets work 2gether to find more mommy-time!: http://bit.ly/9Gs52P [...]