Hold onto your shorts peeps! This recipe is delicious! This recipe is brought to you all the way from Hawaii. That’s right, from Mommy Vaca’s Mama! It is so delicious and has become a staple in our family. My mom had this at a restaurant in Hawaii and went home and duplicated it. See, I told you I learned my cooking skills from the best!
Asian Chicken Salad
½ head Chinese Cabbage chopped (click on link to see what this looks like if you don’t know)
1 cup chopped purple cabbage
1 head romaine heart lettuce chopped (1 head out of the 3 packs)
12 oz. bag sugar snap peas (I buy at Trader Joe’s)
1 cup edamame beans
1 carrot, shredded
3 cups shredded Rotisserie chicken
Asian Won-Ton Salad Chips (I used the Fresh Gourmet Wonton Strips- Wasabi Ranch)
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
4 tsp sweet-hot Chinese mustard*
Salt/pepper to taste
*Note- You can add more or less mustard depending on your taste*
- Bring water to boil and boil frozen shelled edamame beans for 3 mins. Drain using slotted spoon and run cold water over them to cool.
- Return water to boil and par-boil sugar snap peas (throw snap peas into boiling water for 30 seconds, drain and run cold water over them to cool).
- Chop romaine, Chinese cabbage and purple cabbage and mix in large salad bowl. Add cooled edaname beans, sugar snap peas, shredded chicken, and then shred carrot over salad.
- Toss salad with dressing. Add a little dressing at a time and toss because you might not need all of it.
- Top with Won-Ton Chips. These really make the dish!!
A few quick notes about this recipe. This makes a BIG salad! Pull some out and save for the next day for lunch before you add the dressing if you want. Also, slowly add the dressing. I made this last week and didn’t use all of the dressing. Everyone likes different amounts of salad dressing, so you can make it how you like it! Enjoy!