Since I have zucchini and yellow squash coming out of every crevice of my body, I decided to make some of my mother-in-laws Zucchini Bread this week. I am beginning to think my husband is a little TOO good at this growing your own vegetable thing. We literally get this amount every 2 days:
These 2 veggies are so delicious grilled with a little olive oil and salt/pepper, but really how many nights a week can you have that for dinner? And since my kids are SO GOOD at eating green veggies (Ha!), I decided to make some zucchini bread. I made a loaf for my sister (who by the way STILL has NOT had her baby) and little mini-muffins for the kids. It gives me great pleasure to watch them gobble up these muffins in the morning for breakfast and know that they are eating vegetables!!
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
* Optional: 1 cup chopped nuts, like walnuts*
- Pre-heat oven at 350.
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar, vegetable oil, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix together.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to mixture and blend well. Add nuts if using.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. I made 1 loaf and used the rest of the batter for mini muffins for the kids! Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done. The mini-mufifns only take about 15-20 minutes depending on your oven!
- Cool in pan and then on rack.
Enjoy this yummy summer garden treat!