I know the fall season has fallen upon us, but here in my lovely CA hometown it is 102 today. Therefore, I am sharing one of my favorite dishes that I created this summer. And also, I had to shave since it is so hot, which sucks. Because you know, I hate shaving.
If you love fresh tasting, delicious pasta salads, you will love this recipe! As you know I have a lot of veggies from the summer bounty so I created a pasta salad that we have literally been eating once a week for the last month. The best thing? It goes with anything! Chicken, steak, pork chops, shrimp, fish…whatever you want!
Grilled Summer Veggie Pasta Salad
1/2 lb fusilli pasta (or any shaped pasta you like)
2 yellow squash, grilled and chopped into bite size pieces
2 zucchini squash, grilled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium sweet onion, grilled and chopped
2-3 heirloom tomatoes (you can use any kind of tomato, but heirlooms add a yummy sweetness)
6 oz container of crumbled feta cheese
15 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Good Seasons salad dressing (I use the Italian flavor) or your favorite Italian salad dressing
1. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and run water over pasta so it doesn’t stick together. Add to large serving bowl.
2. Slice yellow squash and zucchini into long strips, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut onion into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Using either the outside grill or grill pan, add veggies and brush olive oil on top side and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip veggies after about 5 minutes and coat the 2nd side with olive oil, salt & pepper. Grill for 5 more minutes. I like my grilled veggies cooked, yet still a little crunchy. Grill to your desired texture.
3. Cut squash and zucchini into bite size square pieces. Add on top of pasta in serving bowl. Cut the onions up into small pieces, but not as large as the squash and zucchini and add to bowl.
4. Cut heirloom tomatoes into the same size pieces as the squash and zucchini and add to the serving bowl.
5. Chop fresh basil leaves finely and add to serving bowl.
6. Top with crumbled feta cheese and pour Italian salad dressing over it. I usually go light on my dressing and adjust accordingly.
7. Toss altogether and serve!