Happy Birthday to my 1st Baby!

Today, my beloved golden retriever, Vandy, turns 10 years old.

I can’t believe he is 10 already! Where does the time go?

Even though he drives me absolutely bonkers sometimes, he will always be my 1st baby.

On this day, I would like to make some promises to Vandy. You see, even though he was my 1st baby, he is often ignored and displaced. This happens to our beloved pets when kids enter the household.

I promise to try and remember to fill your water bowl each morning.

I promise to remind Sadie to feed you.

I promise to give you your medicine so your old bones and joints are well greased.

I promise to take you on more walks around the block…but you must in turn promise not to poop all over the sidewalk. Mommy cleans up enough poop already.

I promise to let the kids be messy at dinner so you get the scraps on the floor.

I promise to continue letting you snuggle with me on the couch.

I promise to love you unconditionally….forever and ever.

My Vandy Boy

Comments

1. Rebecca says:

How sweet! He looks very content. Happy 10th YEAR Vandy!

My 1st baby is my 6 year old chihuahua Mia. I hated when everyone would tell me “Oh now that the baby is coming you are not going to love Mia as much and you are not going to pay any attention to her blablabla” so annoying.

The truth is that now that the baby is here (she is 6 months) I understand what people were talking about (to a certain degree) I love Mia, very much she is my first baby but I LOVE my baby, I would take a bullet for her.

Mia is pretty undertanding, we still cuddle and take little walks. The cutest part is that the baby loves Mia, she bursts into giggle whenever she jumps on the couch and Mia is so incredibly patient and gentle with the baby (something no one saw coming except me)

Sheeesh…sorry for the long comment.
    Rebecca’s last blog Hold on to your Tacos

2. Wendy says:

Awwww how sweet. Vandy is beautiful! Our first baby passed away a couple of years ago. Maggie still talks about her.
    Wendy’s last blog Kiddie Lit – revisited

Aw, he looks just like you. ;)

Happy Birthday to him.

And just wondering, how did you come up with the name Vandy? There has got to be a story there.

• Thanks Jen. He has my eyes. And yes you are correct…there is a story behind his name. Vandy is short for Vanderbilt University where Josh and I went to college. He was a wedding present from my parents so we decided to name him after the place where we met!
      —> Insert…awwwwwwww!!!

4. Awww… cutie. We have a 7 year old yellow lab so I know how you feel! A couple of months ago we found out he has diabetes so it’s TWO shots a day! He’s also neglected but we are trying to do more walks, especially now there is more daylight!

Happy birthday, Vandy!
    Melissa {adventuroo}’s last blog Capture the Everyday- A Feature You Love about Your Home

5. Aw, happy birthday, Vandy! I have Golden myself as well. Her name is Cassie and she will be turning 14 this summer! We’ve been through a LOT together, Cassie and I. She’s been the best dog I’ve ever had.

Here’s my old girl:
    Memoirs of a Single Dad’s last blog Parenting Blogs – Leaving Dad in the Dust

6. alicia says:

Aww. What a sweet post. And I have no idea where the time goes.

Also, I thought I was already following you. DER!

7. purseblogger says:

Oh my goodness he’s so cute! I love dogs, they really are our babies. Happy Birthday Vandy!

8. Okay, you know I’m not a big dog person because it there ever was a lemon of dog, we got her. But Vandy looks like a dapper man.

9. Kristy says:

Aww, I love goldies. We had one growing up. They have heart. Thanks so much for being excited about my SITS feature!
    Kristy’s last blog For Crying Out Loud- Its my SITS Day!