The Dinner Table

Scene: My family dinner table

Date & Time: Thursday, September 15th at 6:00pm

Participants: Rachel, Josh, Sadie & Tyler

*****

Sadie: “Mommy this pasta is delicious!”

Me: “It should be, it has about a pound of butter on it.”

Josh: “Oh, that explains why when I try to clean it up off the floor it shoots out of my hands and flies across the room.”

Sadie: “No silly Daddy! The pasta doesn’t fly!”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Me: “Tyler, you have only had 3 bites of pasta. You need to try your chicken and zucchini please.”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Sadie: “Is this zucchini different? It looks different.”

Me: “Sadie, would you like me to cut your zucchini into smaller pieces?”

Sadie: “Yes, but only if this zucchini is from our garden.”

Josh: “Of course it is from our garden.”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Me: “Tyler, I heard you the 1st time. You are not all done. You need to have your no thank you bites and then stay at the table until everyone is done.”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Sadie: “I don’t like this zucchini.”

Josh: “Then try your chicken please.”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Sadie (gagging on said chicken): “I don’t like it.”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Me: “This is Costco Rotisserie Chicken! The best chicken in the world!”

Sadie: “I don’t like it. Can I have more pasta?”

Me: “No more pasta until you have some no thank you bites of chicken and zucchini.”

Tyler: “I’m all done.”

Sadie: “Can I have some ice cream please?”

Tyler: “I WANT ICE CREEEEEAAAAMMMMMMMM!!”

Me: “Nobody gets ice cream unless they eat their chicken and zucchini.”

Tyler: “I want Joe Joe cookies.”

Josh: “I thought you were all done?”

Tyler: “I want Goldfish.”

Me: “Okay…nobody gets anything else to eat unless you finish more of your DINNER!”

Sadie: “But I waaaaannnnttt ice cream!!!!!”

Josh: “Then finish your dinner.”

*****

End Scene

dinner_table_partners_in_crime

Dinner Table Partners in Crime!

Comments

1. Elaine says:

I would have been “all done” at that point too! HA HA!

But I would like some Joe Joes please…. I ate ALL my dinner! ;P

p.s. this sounds EXTREMELY familiar…

2. Stephanie brawley says:

It’s like you are in our house quoting our exact dinner conversation!

3. Kelley says:

That sounds very familiar! Ha! I love how you call them “no thank you bites”.
    Kelley’s last blog Dr. Brown, Dr. Brown, What Do You See? (NOT by Eric Carle)

4. Bits of Bee says:

Sounds like we have the same dinner time challenges! Gone are the days when we could eat an entire meal, in silence. Challenging, but also totally worth it, right? lol
    Bits of Bee’s last blog Mama Don’t Know Shizz

5. Rusti says:

I was literally chuckling out loud at this… not at YOU of course, but totally with you… I am SO there (minus a child! and often a husband) ;) what exactly IS a “no thank you” bite? maybe I’ll have to adopt that phrase…
    Rusti’s last blog S.H.I.T.-So Happy It’s Thursday link-up #8

6. Shari says:

Kids, you gotta love em. But why is it so hard to get them to try food? Why are they born with such a love for junk food? How can they arrive already brainwashed? Then after eons of dinners like the one you just had, they grow up to be gourmet cooks and shop only in farmer’s markets.

Is it OK to actually say “eons of dinners?” I know at the time it seemed like each “happy family dinner” lasted for an eon, which was always about 10 seconds longer than my patience.

7. Jessica says:

Yes, this is what my house is like on a daily basis. But not just for dinner. It also happens for breakfast and lunch. The only meal my youngest likes is snack.
    Jessica’s last blog The Annoyed Cool Kid

8. Jessica says:

Were you at my house for dinner last night?! This sounds so familiar! What is a “no thank you bite”? I may have to somehow incorporate that into my families meals. My oldest is SO picky.

9. Rebecca says:

Oh boy!! Sounds like a real treat at dinner time!! Can’t wait for that phase!! Asher got up at 230am and 6am this lovely morning!!! : /

10. I am so jaded after 11 years in the trenches – unfortunately it doesn’t always get easier that I can just tune out these conversations now. I can actually have them without my blood pressure rising at all.

11. Wait. Did you sneak into my house and record dinnertime ’round here? Because yeah. It’s eerily similar. Good to know it’s universal! :)
    Clare @ it’s all good in the motherhood’s last blog There are no limits to my wimpiness.

12. Evonne says:

That sounds so familiar! My boy always pulls the “I’m done” crap, but not even 5 minutes later he wants a snack. Those “no thank you bites” sound intriguing. What are they so I can give them a try?
    Evonne’s last blog Scrubbing desks

13. Kir says:

this scene sounds awfully familiar, were you peeking in my windows this week?

Getting a three year old to eat anything good for them is proving to be an “adventure” for me. ;) Who can blame them, Ice Cream is good. LOL

plus I love the idea of “no thank you bites” what a great concept.
    Kir’s last blog WOE: David:This Is How A Heart Breaks

14. Hey…I want ice cream too!
    The Informal Martriarch’s last blog Self Directed MMA Swimlates Aqua-sise Classes in the Middle of the Lake = Awesome

15. Katie says:

I was ready to scream after just reading it! I can’t imagine living it.

16. Sherri says:

Oh, I am SO sending you the teenage girl and swapping for these two! Hilarious, my friend…maybe not su much when you’re the mom?
    Sherri’s last blog Want Fries with That?

17. Mary says:

That’s still way better than my kid does at dinner.

18. Jeff says:

Funny. Good one.

Yes, dinner is nuts. We get the “I want ice cream!” Sometimes it’s “I want a popsicle.” I would pull my hair out if I had any.
    Jeff’s last blog All The [NERD] Rage: Week of September 10 – 16, 2011

I am pretty sure that happened at my dinner table tonight.

Of course, I am not really sure since I am in a cold meds fog.

20. Oh my goodness. This sounds so funny. And it totally made me remember. I love when you told him it was the BEST chicken in the world : ) Cute.

21. Leighann says:

Oh dear.
    We haven’t reached that point yet.. we’re at the picky toddler stage. I can’t wait.
    Leighann’s last blog I Won a Trip… didn’t I?

22. This scene is repeated at my house nearly every night. Sadly, my duo is 8!
    Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop.’s last blog Banana split breakfast.

23. Oh, for heaven’s sake – this sounds EXACTLY like our house! It’s MADDENING! It’s not even like I’m fixing sweebreads or something!
    Missy | Literal Mom’s last blog I’m at Theta Mom Today!

24. Did you have a microphone in my house? Because that is exactly what it sounds like at dinner time at my place.

Most of the time, I want to be the one screaming “I’M ALL DONE”
    Hopes@Staying Afloat!’s last blog The Sleep Stealing Culprit

25. Carri says:

Oh geez… I think that same conversation is going on in every single American household right this minute. ANNOYING. Except my husband joins the kid in complaining.
    Carri’s last blog SpongeBob SquarePants is Bad for Your Sobriety

26. Good thing they are so darn cute!
    And um.. Joe Joe’s ice cream? ridiculous.

27. Stefanie says:

The only difference at my house is that it ends up with me slamming my face into the table, telling my kids they are ungrateful turds and then rushing towards the bottle of wine. Or perhaps that isn’t different, you just didn’t mention it.

28. I couldn’t even get my 9 year old to eat a slice of pizza….am not hungry…then mom can I have pop, is there any chips….GAH

29. Erica says:

You know what? Screw Goldfish! I curse the day I brought those yellow things into our house!!!
    Erica’s last blog Advice to New Moms

30. tori nelson says:

I am a bad person and also a fan of silent dinners. Family conversation’s overrated anyways, right? Right?
    tori nelson’s last blog Good Deeds! Let’s punish them!

31. MommaKiss says:

The gagging? On food that you know they eat? Please. I’ve been there, done that kid. You can’t fool me!

32. Rinse. Repeat.

Sigh.
    Cheryl @ Mommypants’s last blog An honor

33. Jessica says:

That’s hilarious to me right now – know why? Because I have no children.

Talk to me in about 5 to 10 years. This might make me cry…cry because I’m wishing my kids were this well behaved at the dinner table! ;)
    Jessica’s last blog Top 5 Reasons I’m Glad to be Done with College

Trackbacks

1. [...] information in this report gives you very simple strategies that could very well save your marriage.While most families are enjoying their Thanksgiving with friends and relatives, you are living with …r Thanksgiving with friends and relatives, you are living with the fear that your alcoholic husband [...]