Lasagna does not always have to include mozzarella cheese and your favorite tomato sauce.
Sometimes it includes your favorite salsa, Mexican cheese and fresh cilantro.
1 Tbls. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey (or beef if you prefer)
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (plus whole leaves for garnish)
1 16 oz. bag frozen corn, thawed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can refried beans (I use Trader Joe’s Black Refried Beans with Jalapeños)
2 16 oz. jars of favorite salsa
9 no boil lasagna noodles (or boil and cook regular lasagna noodles)
10 oz. bag Mexican shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375. Cover bottom of 8 x 8 baking dish with a few spoonfuls of salsa to coat.
2. Heat olive oil in medium pan. Add chopped onion and sauté for 8 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add ground turkey meat and brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, and cilantro. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine corn, black beans, refried beans, remaining salsa and browned turkey meat to create lasagna filling.
5. Place 3 lasagna noodles over salsa in baking dish. Cover with some of the lasagna filling. Top filling with shredded cheese. Repeat 2 more layers, noodles-filling-cheese, ending with cheese layer on top. Please note, there will be leftover lasagna filling! I use this as a dip for chips!
6. Cover lasagna with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
7. Slice and serve with sprinkle of fresh cilantro on top!
Optional: Serve with sour cream, salsa or guacamole on the side for extra dipping sauces!