And then she was 5….

Today, February 22nd, my sweet little Sadie Lady turns 5 years old.

FIVE.

How did that happen?

It seems like just yesterday I was holding her tiny little body, rocking her back and forth, next to her NICU bed.

Kissing her, cuddling her, loving her.

And still today…

I am kissing her, cuddling her, and loving her.

I never imagined that parenthood would fly by as fast as it is. Sure, days may seem long sometimes while raising children, but in the grand scheme of things, those days whip by us.

And you wake up one day as a mother to a 5 year old.

There is a book that I found this past weekend at Barnes & Noble for Sadie for her birthday. It describes how I am feeling perfectly and so I wanted to share it with you here.

If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richmond

If I could keep you little, I’d hum you lullabies.

But then I’d miss you singing your concert’s big surprise.

If I could keep you little, I’d hold your hand everywhere.

But then I’d miss you knowing, “I can go…you stay there.”

If I could keep you little, I’d kiss your cuts and scrapes.

But then I’d miss you learning from your own mistakes.

If I could keep you little, I’d strap you in real tight.

But then I’d miss you swinging from your treetop height.

If I could keep you little, I’d decide on matching clothes.

But then I’d miss you choosing dots on top and stripes below.

If I could keep you little, I’d cut your bread into shapes.

But then I’d miss you finding, “Hey! I like ketchup with my grapes!”

If I could keep you little,

I’d tell you stories every night.

But then I’d miss you reading the words you’ve learned by sight.

If I could keep you little, I’d push you anywhere.

But then I’d miss you feeling your speed from here to there.

If I could keep you little, I’d pick for you a friend or two.

But then I’d miss you finding friends you like who like you, too!

If I could keep you little, we’d finger paint our art.

But then I’d miss you creating stories from your heart.

If I could keep you little, I’d push your ducky float.

But then I’d miss you feeling the wind behind summer’s boat.

If I could keep you little, we’d nap in our fort midday.

But then I’d miss you sharing adventures from camp away.

If I could keep you little, I’d fly you with my feet.

But then I’d miss you seeing sky and clouds from your seat.

If I could keep you little, I’d keep you close to me.

But then I’d miss you growing into who you’re meant to be!

Happy 5th Birthday to my beautiful Sadie Lady! I love you so much!

Comments

1. Vinobaby says:

Oh, they grow so fast. Lovely poem. Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl! Cheers!

That poem says it all. I love it.

And I hope that Sadie has a very special birthday!

3. Pop says:

They grow up too fast don’t they? I was planning D1′s birthday last month and I couldn’t believe I had to type 4th Birthday! in the evite.

Lovely poem! Not sure what Sadie’s meant to be, but I do know this: she will certainly appreciate the fruit of the vine :-P Hope you guys have a wonderful day together!

4. Lizbeth says:

Ohhh, Happy Birhtday!!!

They do grow up so fast! Sometimes the days are endless and other times I wonder where the time went.

I hope the day turns out as well as she expected and more.

5. Jennifer Downing says:

There ust be something special about February 22nd; this is the third little princess I know of that is having a birthday!
    Happy 5th Birthday to Sadie, she shares her birthday with two little 4year olds (two friends, both had babies on the same day) that I love to pieces.

6. Nichole says:

And now I’m all teary at 8am.

Happy birthday, sweet Sadie. I hope that your day is magical and that your mom lets you eat lots of cake. Katie sends huge hugs!

7. Sue Robinson says:

So sweet. Happy Birthday beautiful Sadie.

8. Sherri says:

What a sweetie! And it sure does fly by…five is just such a cool milestone, isn’t it?

9. Jessica says:

Happy birthday Sadie!

10. Jamie says:

A dear friend gave me this book when my girls turned 1. It’s such a bittersweet thing. Happy birthday to her.

11. Rebecca says:

Happy Birthday sweet Sadie!!! She really is growing up, not the little peanut she once was!! I remember Eddie and I coming to your house in Danville and you and Josh being so excited to tell us you were pregnant!!! And now look!!! Time flies! I love the book you got her!! So special!!

12. Happy birthday to your sweet, beautiful girl!!

13. Mama Mary says:

Bawling. Happy Belated Bday, Miss Sadie! And love to you, girl!

14. So love this. My baby turns six next month! Happy birthday to Sadie!

15. Julie says:

My little son turned to 5 last month, too, I always wonder on his birthdays how fast the time goes away. But it is the most beautiful experience to watch them grow up.