PIZZA!!!! With wine of course!
We have pizza every Friday night in this house.
It’s fast, easy and delicious.
Not to mention there are so many different kinds of pizza, the possibilities are endless.
Although we love my Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Crispy Shallots, another favorite is my Mediterranean Pizza!
1 pizza crust (I buy crusts from Whole Foods)
3 Tbls olive oil
1/2 medium onion, cut into thin rings
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1/2 cup fire-foasted red and yellow peppers, thinly sliced (I buy these at Trader Joe’s)
2/3 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/8 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
1 Tbls fresh thyme, finely chopped
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 2 Tbls olive oil over medium heat. Add onion rings and sauté for 15-20 minutes over medium-low heat until onions are caramelized.
3. Brush pizza crust with 1 Tbls olive oil. Top with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
4. Add caramelized onions, artichokes, fire-roasted peppers, and kalamata olives to pizza, spreading evenly over the crust.
5. Top vegetables with remaining 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and feta cheese. Sprinkle thyme on the top.
6. Bake in oven for 15 mins.
7. Top with toasted pine nuts, slice and serve!
Suggested Wine Pairings: There is one ingredient on this pizza that makes wine pairings difficult, artichokes. Artichokes are wine killers. Everything you drink after eating artichokes will taste sweet, including wine. The preparation of artichokes can make them easier to work with when pairing wine. Roasting them at high heat, like on this pizza, will make them more food friendly. Try light, dry, acidic white wines with artichokes: Pinot Gris (Try J Vineyards California Pinot Gris) or a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Try Villa Maria Private Bin). Since the artichokes are roasted in this pizza recipe, a Pinot Noir also pairs nicely with the other flavors of the dish. Try Belle Glos Meiomi Pinot Noir.