I love soup.
I love vegetables.
Therefore, I love vegetable soups!
Especially my Minestrone Soup!
My rendition of this classic soup is full of flavor and healthy vegetables.
Kale, cabbage, carrots, zucchini and tomatoes!
Topped with a little sprinkle of Grana Padano cheese on top and you have a winner.
2 Tbls olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced small
2 leeks, thinly sliced (white parts only)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 lb orecchiette pasta
4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1 bunch of Lacinato Kale, stems removed & chopped into 1-inch pieces (Lacinato Kale is softer & cooks better for this soup)
2 medium zucchini, medium diced
1 cup Savoy cabbage, chopped
1 can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 Tbls fresh thyme, minced
1/4 cup Grana Padano Parmesan cheese, shredded
2- inch rind of Grana Padano Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add leeks, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
3. Add pasta, carrots, kale, zucchini, cabbage, garbanzo beans, thyme and cheese rind to large pot and cook over medium-heat for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Check seasoning and add salt/pepper to taste. Remove cheese rind from pot before serving.
5. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Grana Padano cheese. Enjoy!
Suggested Wine Pairings: I drank a 2007 Monte Antico Rosso which is an Italian Tuscany wine. It was delicious with this soup! Also try a Merlot, Sangiovese or Chianti